Lentil Shepherd's Pie


One afternoon last week I was scurrying, as I sometimes do, to figure out what to make for supper. I was looking for easy, quick, and something with vegetables; because let's face it, I had forgot to take any sort of meat out of the freezer. As I was looking though the pantry, I noticed some lentils that I had from a recipe I'd made a while ago. I headed straight to Pinterest to search for recipes that included vegetables & lentils. I came across this recipe for vegan shepherd's pie over at the blog Minimalist Baker


I'm not going to lie, I was a bit skeptical. I love shepherd's pie & we are not vegetarians/vegans, but I had the majority of the ingredients and was in need of a quick supper idea. So I gave it a whirl. Let me tell you. We all loved it. It was seriously tasty and it will definitely be going in my rotation of recipes.

I'll let you head over to the Minimalist Baker's blog for the entire recipe, but here are a few notes on what I did differently:
  • In my mashed potatoes I used real butter & some milk - so my shepherd's pie definitely wasn't vegan.
  • I didn't have a bag of frozen mixed veggies, so: I diced fresh carrot (1 cup) and cooked it with the lentils - I threw it in the pot approx. 20mins into the cooking time. I added 1 1/2 cups frozen green beans, 3/4 cup frozen peas, and 1/2 can of corn (drained). These are all approximate. Add more or less to your liking. The frozen veggies and corn I added as indicated in the original recipe. 
  • I opted to thicken the filling mixture with a few tablespoons of mashed potatoes like suggested and I think that was a good idea.
Again, head over here for the full recipe. And there you have it! A quick supper idea that is very tasty! 

Comments