At Home Tea Treat: London Fog

Ok, friends. If you've been around here for a while you probably know that I am definitely a coffee person. But, I'm also a tea fan. Sometimes when we're out and about & we decide to grab a "coffee treat", I'll actually grab a tea instead. And, since we're getting a "treat", why would I just order a plain 'ol regular tea that I can easily make at home? So, I'll generally splurge (since it's not a daily occurrence for us) and grab a latte. Chai Lattes & London Fogs (earl grey lattes) are my favourite "tea treats".


Since we try and keep the "coffee/tea treats" to a minimum (for obvious price reasons), I decided to do my best to recreate a tea treat at home. London Fogs have been the go-to lately. It's not as good as grabbing one at a coffee shop, but it's pretty darn close. And, for those afternoons that I need a little pick-me-up, it hits the spot.

I'm sure someone who legit works at a coffee shop might look at this method and laugh. But hey, I do the best I can ;)


Make Your Own:

1. First, make approx. 1/2 - 3/4 of a cup of earl grey tea (I generally make about half a cup & use vanilla earl grey). Let steep about 3-4min. You want your tea to be on the stronger side. P.S. - While my tea steeps I like to put a little plate over the cup to keep it nice & warm.

2. While tea is steeping, warm 1/2 cup of milk (of your choice) in a microwave safe bowl. I use a pyrex measuring cup & warm it in the microwave in 20-30 second increments.

3. Once you get the milk nice & warm, add a splash (approx. 1/4 tsp) of vanilla, and a pinch of cinnamon & nutmeg. If you enjoy some sugar in your tea/latte I recommend adding it here. I usually add about 1 tsp. Give a little stir.

4. Next grab a hand frother* (or any frother you have) & froth the milk. Since the sugar, vanilla & spices have been added it not only froths the milk but mixes everything up nicely. When you've reached the desired consistency & have all the foam you'd like, the more the better, remove the tea bag from your tea (once it's done steeping) & pour in the milk while holding back the foam with a spoon. Lastly, spoon out all that lovely foam on top!

5. Sit & enjoy. Yum!

*I realize not everyone has a frother at their disposal. For a while when I wanted froth for teas etc. I would place a whisk in the milk & literally roll it back and forth in my palms until the milk got foamy. It works, but takes a little longer & I guess a bit more effort. I found a hand frother for just under $10 at the store, so not too pricey!



Nothing too complicated, just a few extra steps to making a regular 'ol cup of tea. It's delish & hits the spot on those afternoons I'm needing a little pick-me-up. 

Are you a tea latte fan? 



Comments