Deck Gardening

I have always loved the idea of having a garden. I remember my grandparents having a garden when I was growing up. We'd always love it when they gave us some of the yummy crop. I think the green & yellow beans were my favourite!


I've been researching as best I can (I know I've got to do more) about starting a garden. This is a year we could actually have our own. Plus, since E is older I have a bit more time to research and perhaps maintain one. We also have a yard, which is kind of essential. Albeit, the backyard is a bit of a slope. There is some flat area, and I've heard you can have a garden on a slope as well, so we have a bit of an option.

However, I've decided that before I get my pregnant self out there digging a plot for a garden that this year we'd try for something small. So we're going to go the container gardening route on our deck and first see how that goes. If that goes well, then maybe next year we'll plan something in the actual soil of our backyard. Plus, since we've just moved in to our place, there are some other projects we're probably going to try and tackle this summer around the house. Let's not bite off more than we can chew.

Over the weekend E and I headed to a local garden center/greenhouse in the area and decided to see what they had. The selection was great and she loved looking around at all the different flowers and plants.


I'm sure we'll be back for some flowers at some point, but this trip we ended up coming home with a few veggies and some herbs:


- Summer mix lettuce (I think I'll go back for one other kind)
- Tomatoes
- Basil
- Dill
- Thyme
- Cilantro 
- Beans (yellow & green) and Peas - These are seeds only, so I'll need to get starting on those!

We're not going crazy with the veggies. But I think all of these things are do-able, and from the research I've done they all seem to be grow-able in containers. And the good news is that I've done the herb thing before (and kept them alive) so I semi-know what I'm doing there.

The next step will be to get some containers, some soil, and some fertilizer (I think?? I told you, I'm new to this).

The previous homeowners left this on the deck. I'm thinking that this could be a good little planter for some of what we'd like to plant. I'm also trying to decide if it's weird that we put it to use? That's not gross is it? Maybe that question itself is weird? I mean it's just a planter. So it's a start. Obviously, I'd empty it and add some new fresh soil. I know it's not the prettiest, but that's ok. Maybe if I get really ambitious I'll paint the thing & give it a mini makeover.


Also, excuse our deck. It needs to be painted or stained. I told you, we have some other house projects we may be tackling this summer.

With a little deck garden our crop may not yield huge results, but it'll be nice to grow a few things ourselves; not to mention yummy if all goes well. I think that it'll also be a great teaching experience for E! I do realize this thing could be a total flop, but hey, no harm in trying. Right?

So, I welcome ANY tips or tricks you have when it comes to gardening. Seriously, send them my way! Especially if you've done the whole deck gardening thing.

Comments